Tuesday, March 16, 2010

feels like home [and TWD]

Maybe my last post put me in a nostalgic mood. Or maybe the Friends final episode was a re-run on TBS tonight. Or maybe it was the impromptu happy hour I had with a friend from high school (read: 2 generous pours of Old Vine Zinfandel at midtown's Capitol Grille) -- but there's something really comforting about spending time with old friends. The friends who knew (and loved) you before you discovered routine brow waxes. The friends who didn't judge you for wearing capri pants from The Limited and anything from Abercrombie & Fitch circa 1999. The friends who came over to your house after school to hang, who knew your parents, and who giggled for hours on the phone when your crush asked you to Prom.

We meet friends at every life stage, but the friends who've watched you grow up are few and very dear. You don't try to impress these friends. You don't watch your mouth with these friends. You don't change back into your work heels to meet them for a quick drink after a long Monday. And catching up with one that you haven't seen in months (or years) feels a little like coming home. I've been totally missing my fam lately, and though Miss Izzy fills the void it was really nice to leave work for "one" "quick" drink tonight and get a little home fix. Thanks, Mark :)

Coincidentally this weeks Tuesday with Dorie recipe brought me home with its chocolate/raspberry goodness. My very #1 most favorite ice cream growing up was Chocolate Raspberry Truffle from the ice cream shop near our house and the pudding-ish consistency of this tart makes the fruit and chocolate flavors meld perfectly. I used all bittersweet chocolate, left the egg white out of the tart crust (maybe not on purpose, whoops), took the sugar down to 1 tbsp., and didn't edge the crust up the sides of the pan enough. Tart crust seems to elude me and this one was far from perfect -- but still tasted great.

Thanks to Rachelle of Mommy? I'm Hungry for choosing the recipe. It's rich, but a sliver satisfies a chocolate craving instantly. For the recipe, check out page 354 of Baking: From My Home To Yours by Dorie Greenspan.

10 comments:

chelsea rebecca said...

aren't friends reruns on TBS just the greatest! they always on about the time i'm working out so i love it! that chocolate raspberry tart looks INSANELY DELICIOUS!

dorie said...

What a lovely post -- you captures the warmth of friendship so perfectly. Oh, and the tart looks perfect, too, despite the missing egg white : - )

Claire said...

friends and the office episodes on tbs, amazing :) love this post, espeically the part about "friends before you discovered routine brow waxes"! oh and that tart looks decadent and is calling my name!

CB said...

Your post just made me nostaglic for old and new friends too. I love desserts that can bring us back to beloved memories. Glad you enjoyed the tart!
-CB
http://iheartfood4thought.com

Tia said...

great job and nice photo with that one raspberry sticking out of the tart :)

Nickki said...

I love that first picture of your tart with that raspberry poking out! It looks delicious. I loved this tart, I'll definitely make it again. I love watching friends reruns, the final episode gets to me everytime :-)

Chez82 said...

Nice work Beth. This is lovely.

ahlin said...

mmmmm that looks freaking delicious

Susan said...

Your tart looks perfect! Friends reruns are great. :)

Beth said...

Thanks for all the comments!

Chelsea- I think I'm obsessed with TBS reruns :) Also, great list on Champagne Bubbles this week!

Dorie- Thanks for your comment!! If you think the tart looks OK then I'm happy!! Hope you had a great trip to Paris.

Claire- Definitely give the tart a try, I think you'd love it!

CB- I love when old friends meet new friends!

Tia- Thanks for the props and for stopping by :)

Nickki- The final episode makes me cry every time! LOVE Friends.

Chez, Ahlin, Susan- Thank you so much for commenting! You made my day

 
Creative Commons License
Baking Therapy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.