Thursday, September 9, 2010

fall has fell: zucchini cookies

Thanks for the support on my passport bad luck, friends! Turns out I chose a good week to be "stranded" at home. As my friend Tom posted on Facebook today, "fall has fell" in NYC and we're all smiles from our goosebumped skin to our pashminas wrapped tight. I mean right now it's 62 degrees in Central Park!! AND we've got a 10-day forecast without one day over 80 degrees. Can you even?? It feels like we've waited all summer for this sweet kiss of fall... and we're ready for it.

A few things I'm psyched about:

NFL [Steeler] football
apple picking (and apple
pies, cobblers, galettes and cakes...)
jeans and equestrian boots
snuggly mornings wrapped in blankets
cold wooden floors
homemade vegetable soups
SCARVES
the smell of leaves falling in the park
cozy sweaters
chilly morning runs
pumpkin ice cream
Sara Bareilles new album "Kaleidoscope Heart"- GET IT
zero humidity
trench coats
Glee, Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice
no more air conditioning
dark nail polish

It's so close I can taste it and it tastes like a cinnamon spice latte from Starbucks. Mmmm....

In the meantime, I got a little zucchini-happy at the market the other day when I bought the zucc's for that DELICIOUS chocolate zucchini bread (I mean, it's out of this world - seriously). So today the squash baking continued in the form of Zucchini Cookies. Who even knew there was a website called food.com? I mean... I didn't. Google lead me there and these cookies are pretty darn good - actually they taste like little chocolate chip banana breads in your mouth. If you needed a visual.

Extra garden zucchini lying around and sick of zucchini bread? Try these and don't be scared of the dough before you mix in the grated squash - it will work, I promise!

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Cookies
adapted from Food.com

1 stick butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 small zucchini, grated
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cream butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg, flours, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt gradually, mix well.

Stir in the grated zucchini, then fold in walnuts and chocolate chips.

Drop by tablespoonfuls with two inches between each cookie onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.

Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until golden (do not over-bake). Let stand to cool 2-3 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

5 comments:

Claire said...

omg your fall list just made me SO happy! i can't wait. today gave me a taste of it and im so happy summer is basically over. ps we still have to meet up lady, let me know when you are free!

LC said...

I'm dying for fall, too! And sporting dark green nail polish AND a pashmina today! Here's to Autumn and LOTS of apple recipes! xoxo

Joanne said...

I'm definitely going to miss PARTS of summer. But I'm SO ready for pumpkin ice cream. And cinnamon lattes. And apples. So ready.

These cookies look fantastic! I love the idea of eating mini chocolate chip banana/zucchini breads!

Beth said...

I love autumn, and those are all great things to look forward to!

Beth said...

Claire - Glad it made you happy! I've been loving this NYC weather and YES our summer happy hour will now be an autumn one :)

LC- Love a cozy pashmina! Bring on those apples!

Joanne - Isn't pumpkin ice cream the best? I can't wait for all recipes that make me feel like Thanksgiving!

Beth - Thanks for the comment! Hope you're enjoying the cooler weather!

 
Creative Commons License
Baking Therapy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.