Wednesday, February 3, 2010

check up: granola bites

With January wrapping up last week it seems everyone has been checking in on New Year's resolutions to see how we're doing. Seems like a good way to kick off the second month of the year :) So I flipped back to my post in December to check out my progress:

Resolution 1: Climb and camp in Yosemite, check out Joshua Tree and summit Mt. Rainier.
Progress: Planning for Rainier is in motion and I'm so excited! Training will start soon but we're looking at a June or July trip.
Grade: B

Resolution 2: Get west this spring to get back into my ski boots.
Progress: Booked! I head out to Salt Lake City at the end of February for 3 full days of skiing Alta, Sundance, and Deer Valley.
Grade: A+

Resolution 3: Have more dinner parties
Progress: I'm workin' on it! Two girlfriends are coming over this Saturday for a homemade Indian feast (homemade naan!) and five are joining me next Thursday for a special birthday party.
Grade: A+

Resolution 4: Make the Blue Mountains camping trip happen with Sarah and Scott
Progress: Total fail. Haven't made a plan yet or even discussed the trip.
Grade: F

Resolution 5: Get to Brooklyn more often
Progress: Ok so I've been once since the New Year. Just once. But, it's better than nothing? And after reading this post the other day I'm finding more and more reasons to head over the bridge. Holy yum.
Grade: C

As for the resolutions I didn't post? I'm doin' aight:

Lose those 15lbs I gained starting this blog
I registered for the Santa Barbara Wine Country Half Marathon on May 8! Nothing like wine tasting in SoCal to motivate. Grade: B

Take action towards my ultimate goal of owning my own bakery
Reached out and got some great advice from several people who have done just that, including Annie. More to come on this as I learn more... but I'm on a mission! Grade: B

Get better about budgeting and pay off credit card debt
Hired a financial planner and created a debt plan. I'm making dents but there's a long road ahead. But! I'm moving forward and feel good about it. Grade: B

It's good to hold yourself accountable sometimes.

Ok, ok. On to the recipe :) Even though I've been leaning towards health conscious lately (which is so hard for a foodie. I. miss. butter.), I still have major sugar cravings. I found this recipe on Smitten Kitchen ages ago and broke it out the other day to satisfy my sweet tooth.

I modified it a little and named the cookies "Granola Bites" - little drops of wholesome goodness. The addition of almond slices to these cookies made them taste just like my favorite homemade granola. And they ended up being so tiny I didn't mind shoving a bunch into my mouth.

Thick, Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies a.k.a. Granola Bites

1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (I used slivered almonds)

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. Stir this into the butter/sugar mixture. Stir in the oats, raisins and walnuts.

Chill the dough for 30 minutes, then scoop onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Cookies should be 2-inches apart. Bake them for 10 minutes, taking them out when golden at the edges but still a little undercooked-looking on top. Let them sit on the hot baking sheet for five minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool.

7 comments:

Meredith Travels said...

those cookies look so delicious! I think I might have to do some baking tomorrow!

chelsea rebecca said...

WAY TO GO on your resolutions!!
you are making major progress/

i need to start putting more crasions. walnuts and other goodies in my cookies!

http://www.threecolumnblogger.com/ insanely easy! claire gave it to me!

Laura said...

Resolution 3: Have more dinner parties

thats such a good resolution. I'm stealing it!!

Deeba PAB said...

Love your analysis!! Wish I had my thoughts so well sorted out too Beth!
Naan .. yum yum. Just made the best & easiest Naan from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes last night. Couldn't believe I'd waited this long to try it!
{HUGS}

Kathleen said...

These cookies look and sound yummy! I'm bookmarking them now!

Beth said...

Thanks for all the comments!

Meredith- Hi! Thanks for stopping by. I checked out your blog and can't WAIT to hear about your post-Chicago adventures!

Chelsea- Thanks for the support on the resolutions. I'm tryin! And thanks SO much for the help with the 3 columns!

Elledee- I'm kind of obsessed with 500 Days of Summer, too, even though it's semi-depressing!

Deeba- Thanks for commenting! Hope you like my next post :)

Kathleen- Thanks for the note! Have been checking out your blog this weekend and can't wait to try that white chicken chili - your photo was drool-worthy!

ROYAL WILDE said...

i give you an a+ on your resolutions so far - you've done a lot! i'm feeling motivated now...

 
Creative Commons License
Baking Therapy is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.